Sunday, July 11, 2010

End of Year Teacher Gifts Part II

These are the cards I made to go with the calendars I posted last time. All the daycare people got the flower card and the teachers got the blackboard cards. They both turned out so cute!

I saw the blackboard ideas in one of my old Stampin' Sucess magazines. I altered it & added my own twist to it :)


Basic Black, Creamy Caramel, Ruby Red, Whipser White, Chocolate Chip - paper; VersaMark, Creamy Caramel - ink; First Day - stamp set; Corner rounder, White embossing powder, Ruby Red 1 1/4" Striped Grosgrain ribbon, Round Tab punch, Stampin' Up Billboard Sizzlit strip die - accessories;

To make the red tops of the apple, I punched out a tab in ruby red paper then slid the tab back into the punch from the bottom so that only the top 1/4" was inside the punch. Next I punched again to get just the little sliver of red. The stem & the seeds were just cut with sissors. Both the edges of the black board & the edges of the apples were inked with Creamy Caramel.

This card was also inspired by a card I saw in Stampin' Success.

Not Quite Navy, Whipser White, Green Tea DSP - paper; Not Quite Navy (craft), Old Olive (craft), Baja Breeze - ink; En Francais, Botanical Blooms - stamp set; Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, rhinestone jewel, Old Olive ribbon, clear embossing powder, distressing kit - accessories;
To get the glossy look to the flowers I stamped them with craft ink & then embossed them with clear embossing powder. I love the way it looks on the handwriting background.

End of Year Teacher Gifts Part I

My oldest son had three teachers last year, my younger son had both a teacher & multiple daycare caregivers & they have a bus driver. Thank you gifts were a bit complicated this year :)

In an attempt to keep the price down as well as give a nice gift, I decided I would make "school year" calanders that started in July and ended in June. I wasn't sure what to use as a calendar base but I found some great 12 x 12 cork tiles at Wal-Mart. I could slice them down the middle with an exacto knife & have perfect 12 x 6 bases for my calenders. I also made cards but I'll share those in another post :)

Here's the calendar

I think it turned out great & even with all the embellishments, I think they cost around $10 each. I printed the month tags from Word & then stamped the month name, some decorative stamps & distress ink on each tag. It's a little difficult to see but 10 of the tags have white circle "reinforcements" around the hole at the top. I really think this little added bit, with the distress ink, made the tags. The big flower to the right was made by punching a scalloped circle, poking a hole to mark the center & then snipping down from each side of the scallops towards the poked center.

July Kit

As usual, I had a lot of fun with this month's kit. I'm always amazed at how much stuff is in one kit! I made a little boy's birthday card and four 8 1/2 x 11 scrapbook pages with this kit. Of course, this means I still have lots of paper left so I'll have to get busy & print more pictures :)
The July kit is Cosmo Cricket's Girl Friday from